Thursday, September 13, 2007

Transformation

In an open air warehouse across the street from the MCC office yesterday afternoon, I manoevered my motercyle with great concentration around a chalked in figure eight. When the afternoon's downpour subsided, fireworks signalled the start of a cremation at the nearby wat (Buddhist temple). If you had read me this excerpt from my life a year ago, I'm sorry to say that I would have laughed in your face! Asia is truly the last place on Earth that I expected to end up, and I'm not really sure that I knew that Laos existed. Furthermore, those of you who know me well know that I have not always had the most positive relationship with motorized vehicles. Once upon a time, I was convinced that I would never learn to drive a car, let alone a motorcycle. People change; God works in unexpected ways.

So what's changed? Physically my hands are a little raw from doing all my laundry by hand, my muscles are growing from lifting baby Joshua and I have a new freckle two. Emotionally and spiritually, this year is already stretching me in more ways than I can count. I can feel myself exuding a new confidence. Yes I can drive a motorcycle in a city that is becoming less foreign to me everyday. Yes I can eat whatever unidentified substance you have just piled on my plate.
Familiarizing myself with this place is, as a class mate put it earlier today, "like coming out of a thick fog". The squiggles on roadside signs burst into clarity, jumbled conversations spring into order and baffling cultural practices repeat themselves predictibly. I wish I could say that the sun has come out and everything from now on will be bright and sunny, but for now, I'm happy living in the humidity of a Lao afternoon in rainy season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

drive a motorcycle, drive a motorcycle, drive it all the day long. when you get to the end of the day, you must drive it all the way home.

now put that to fun music and sing it while you drive your motorcycle during the day.