Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Five Years of Empowering Disabled Women









One of the best parts about my job here in Laos is that I never know quite what to expect in a day. On this particular Friday afternoon, I was sent to cover the proceedings of the 5th Anniversary Celebration for the Lao Disabled Women's Development Centre. The women who live and work at the center made absolutely radiant hosts. Beaming and dressed in their finest clothes (each one wearing the traditional styles of her village) they welcomed us and directed us to the field behind the center, backing onto the river. I had visited the LDWDC before, but this time the place had been transformed. Tents and a stage had been set up, along with tables overflowing with Lao delicacies and vendors selling handicrafts. The women had been preparing for this event for months, and it showed.

And then the festivities began. Able bodied and disabled people alike marked the occasion through carefully rehearsed Lao traditional Dances interlaced with congratulatory speeches. It was truly inspiring to see how the faces of my mentally and physically disabled friends came alive when the music was turned on and they were given a chance to be in the spotlight for once, rather than being pushed to the farthest edges of society, as per usual. The day ended with more dancing, but this time the impromptu kind. The girls sitting next to me in their wheel chairs persuaded me to put down my camera and we all danced together until exhaustion and laughter overcame us. I have never in my life danced so much as I do here in Laos and I wonder why is it that we have relegated dancing to night clubs and ballet classes back in Canada?
My boss here likes to tease me that I have the most enviable job in the organization, and on days like this, I have to agree.

No comments: