Monday, April 21, 2008

Generosity

It seems that so many of many stories this year revolve around motorcycles. Here's another to add to the collection.

I hadn't gone 10 metres past my gate when my motorcycle came to a sputtering halt. The gas tank was empty. I fumed inwardly for a moment, trying to imagine how my gas had been used up seeing as I had left it full the last time I had driven, but before I had time to do too much sulking a couple from one of the tiny rental rooms across the street came to my rescue. "Don't worry!" the young man called out to me, "We'll share the gas from our tank". Before I fully realized what was happening, he had pulled my motorcycle up beside theirs and was using a small piece of plastic tubing and a water bottle to remove some of the gas from their tank and then syphon it with his mouth into mine. I fumbled around in my bag and pulled out a few tattered bills but my two Samaritans merely smiled and waved my hand away. "We don't want the money," the young woman said, and after they had refused my offer two more times I thanked them both profusely and drove away.

When I looked down at the gas metre I realized that they had given me not just enough gas to get me to the nearest gas station but enough to take me all the way to work and back. Generosity. I can't remember the last time I was that generous to a stranger. As I turned the corner I called back to my two new friends over my shoulder "If you ever need help you know where to find me!".

No comments: