Monday, October 8, 2007

First Impressions of Lao Rural Life


The Laos I am experiencing here in Sangthong district does indeed feel like another world. Just when I thought I was grasping the language and lifestyles of the people of Laos, I visited this not so far off village, and discovered that the only culture I am really learning is that of Vientiane. Life in Sangthong works differently.

For one thing I know that the people in this district do not have nearly as many resources as my friends in Vientiane. Heidi and Micah (the MCC workers I am visiting here) are introducing me to this new Laos. This is a place where 80% of the population does not have access to electricity. This is a place where wealth is measured in rice. This is a place where meals consist of whatever can be foraged in the woods after the rice crop has been sold off to pay a medical bill. Most families are one expensive illness away from lifelong debt. Or starvation.

I’ve often wondered since my arrival in Laos why I haven’t yet experienced extreme culture shock. I know now that if I lived in Sangthong as Heidi and Micah do, I most definitely would experience that shock and confusion. It’s easy to romanticize the lives of this genuine and passionate MCC couple in their rustic bamboo house on stilts, but I don’t envy them the challenging cultural issues they must confront on a daily basis, as the only foreigners in the entire district. What should we feed the 10 children in our house so that we can eat or breakfast without being rude? Which neighbour did we offend by forgetting to invite them to our little girl’s birthday party? I’ve realized my journey in learning about Laos has just barely begun.

No comments: