Thursday, October 4, 2007

Tuk-Tuks and Temples


Tuk-Tuks (tiny colourful taxis) and Buddhist temples abound here in Vientiane. Tuk-Tuks are abundant and cheap but not particularily reliable. I learned the hard way that just because the driever agrees to take you some where, does not mean that they know where they are going! Although I was very late for my meeting, I did get a neat tour of the city.

Temples are a green and peaceful haven within the city, and are among the very few public gathering spaces. They often serve as schools, orphanages, funeral homes, fairgrounds and community centres as well as worship spaces. Their ornate architecture and rich colours stand in stark contrast to the surrounding neighbourhood.

1 comment:

Sheila Hetherington said...

Hey Jess, Amanda passed on a link to your blog site so I could find out what you were doing. I certainly am pleased to see that you are out exploring and experiencing the world. Thanks for sharing via the blog (although I feel a bit like an eavesdropper) I must say that while I expected to see you travel the world, I never pictured you as a biker. Do the folks in Laos really know what they are permitting you to do? Stay safe and stay glued to your motocycle.

Mrs. Hetherington